Birge Hall

Built 1964. Raymond Thayer Birge had been a professor of physics for 45 years (including 22 as department chair) when the new Birge Hall was named in his honor. Designed by John Warnecke, it replaced Bacon Hall (1881), formerly the university's elegant library and art gallery.

Building Details

Floors: 9

Accessible entrances: There is an accessible entrance on the north side of the building beneath the breezeway connecting it with LeConte. There is an automatic door opener.

Restrooms: The ground floor restrooms are usable.

Designated waiting area: The DWAs are located on each floor in the rear stairwell.

Emergency evacuation cabinet: The evacuation chair is located in the south west strair well on the ground floor. Upon entering the building from the main entrance it is located down the hallway on the right and then to the left. It is located inside the strairwell leading up.

Accessibility features: There is one accessible drinking fountain on the ground floor near the womens restroom.

Pictures of Birge Hall

The accessible entrance to Birge Hall, facing northside. There is an automatic door opener to the right of the entrance.

North Entrance

Location

Classrooms and Departments

Physics

Classrooms

Birge 50

Maximum Capacity

159